Header Ads

ad

Firefighter Who Stood Next to George W. Bush After 9/11 Dies

 The retired New York City firefighter who stood next to President George W. Bush  atop the rubble at Ground Zero after the 9/11 attacks has died.    

The cause of Bob Beckwith's death was not immediately released, CNN reported. He was 91.

Beckwith, a Baldwin, N.Y., resident, told Focus on the Family last year that he had malignant skin cancer, along with other health problems.

Three days after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, Bush, while using a bullhorn to speak to firefighters at the site of the World Trade Center, stood with his arm around Beckwith. Both men were atop a charred fire truck in the rubble.  

"Bob Beckwith has passed away," former U.S. Rep. Peter King posted Sunday night on X. "A man of class and dignity. An American icon who personified the best of the FDNY, New York and America at our most perilous moment. Bob Beckwith R.I.P."

Beckwith was retired at the time the World Trade Center was targeted on Sept. 11, 2001, but raced to the scene to help search for survivors, CBS News reported. That, despite his grandson having been hit by a car earlier that morning.  


"I drove to the hospital, walked in and everybody was watching television," he told Focus on the Family. "I looked up and saw the second tower come down. It felt like I was stuck in a bad dream.

"I told my wife: 'I'm going down there.' I was 69. I'd been retired seven years. My kids said, 'Leave it to the young guys', but I heard on the radio that Michael Boyle, son of my friend Jimmy, was missing. I said: 'I gotta go find this kid.' "

The Uniformed Firefighters Association paid its respects to Beckwith on Monday morning. 


"It is with deep sorrow the UFA announces the passing of FF Bob Beckwith of L164," the Uniformed Firefighters Association posted on X.

"Bob is one of the heroes of 9/11 who stood tall for America, New York City and all New Yorkers, he spent many hours searching for the members we lost on that fateful day in 2001.

"A man of true dignity and is beloved by the UFA and the department for all of his sacrifice."  


https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/nyfd-frefighter-bob-beckwith/2024/02/05/id/1152357/