Header Ads

ad

Tom Brady Puts ..





Tom Brady Puts the New England Patriots in Permanent Super Bowl Quarantine


(Image: CC/Flickr/WEBN-TV)


By Stephen Kruiser March 18, 2020


If the NFL Has a Season...

It is with indescribable joy that I am beginning this hump-day edition of the Morning Brief writing about something other than COVID-19, which, by the way, I spent part of Tuesday thinking I had. One trip out in public and I was imagining all kinds of things. I've been very sleep-deprived for several days for a variety of reasons and I’m really run down. My fatigue began playing tricks with my brain and nobody needs that kind of nonsense in these times.

When I did wander over to my computer yesterday morning I was greeted by the news that Tom Brady was leaving the New England Patriots after twenty years and likely heading to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Now, no one knows if the NFL is even going to have a season. One would like to think that we will be through the worst of everything by late August, but the NFL may prematurely shut it all down anyway. The Kentucky Derby isn’t until May, and that’s already been postponed until September now.

The news about Brady’s move is notable simply because the amount of success he had in New England -- six Super Bowl titles -- made it seem like he would be with the team until he retired. Even though he had an off, and frustrating, year in 2019, it still seemed like he and coach Bill Belichick would figure something out, if only so Julian Edelman didn’t have to endure the breakup (no word on who gets custody of him yet).

I have a lot of friends who are Patriots fans and many of them have wondered for a while if both Brady and Belichick are intent on proving each can be successful without the other. Maybe, but why let ego get in the way of all of that winning?

As a Steelers fan (long story) Brady’s tenure in New England has been the bane of my existence. I certainly won’t be sorry to see him go to the NFC. I am very grateful to him, however, for giving me a lead story that wasn’t about people dying.