After months of teasing about it and enraging the Usual Suspects in the process, the Trump White House unveiled renderings in mid-April for what they called a "triumphal arch," a 250 ft structure that they want built in Washington, D.C., in honor of America's 250th birthday.
As RedState reported, White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said at the time that "this year we celebrate America's 250th birthday. In honor of this historic occasion, President Trump and the Department of the Interior will submit plans for the United States Triumphal Arch, which will be an architectural masterpiece to celebrate our history right here in Washington, D.C."
Further, she noted that it will "stand on the ground that is currently empty green space in Memorial Circle on Columbia Island, a man-made island in the Potomac River, managed by the National Park Service."
As we also reported, three plans had been submitted to President Trump for review. He, of course, picked the biggest and boldest one.
In an update to this story, we learned Thursday that the project, also known as the "Independence Arch," was one step closer to reality:
A federal arts commission approved a modified plan Thursday for President Donald Trump’s proposed arch along the Potomac River.
While similar to the original concept, the altered design removes a platform below the arch and tunnel access to the site. At Trump’s request, the plan to build large golden sculptures atop the arch was retained, while the designers selected granite for the surface stone.
One member of the Commission of Fine Arts in April questioned the inclusion of a 60-foot golden statue of Lady Liberty flanked by eagles. But the arch’s designer, Nicolas Charbonneau, told the panel, who were all appointed by the president earlier this year, that Trump had considered but rejected the suggestion.
Also removed from the original plan, with Trump's okay, are the "statues of gold lions that were positioned lower on the arch."
While this represents a step forward, there has already been one lawsuit filed by a group of Vietnam veterans to stop the project. Also, as the NY Times reported, "the Federal Aviation Administration is reviewing whether the arch could pose an aerial hazard, an evaluation that it requires for all structures more than 200 feet tall."
The next step is a review from the National Capital Planning Commission, which will take place on June 4th.
